Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Day 2: St. Jean - Roncesvalles

Today will also be known as the hazing day of the Camino. Oh my, saying it was hard doesn't even begin to describe it. I left my hostel at 7:11am and didn't get here until 5:30... more than 10 hours on the trail does not mean that I was walking the whole time, but it does mean I was on the road for a very long stretch of time. The ascent was tough, the descent was steep. I had some great rest stops, conversations with fellow pilgrims, snacks and took some amazing pictures. 

I finally made to Roncesvalles and it was good I had made a reservation because all 180 beds were taken. Getting to the hostel late means less time to rest and that my hair and clothes are still wet. Most pilgrims finish their walking at 2-3 to take advantage of Spanish lunchtime and relaxing in the evening. Hmmm, that sounds nice!
It was a great day. It was just long and a brutal start in. If you do the Camino Francés I absolutely recommend that you break up this first stage. Your body is not used to the trail or your pack yet and it becomes a trial. 
I met quite a few Americans today and kept running into three men from Texas. As we chatted and also met other pilgrims people were so kind, asking them if all was okay with their homes and families. ❤️
This evening was busy. Self care (clothes washing, showering, Food!) took priority, but I did make it to the 8pm pilgrims' mass . It was a really special ceremony and all the pilgrims were called forward at the end to receive a blessing. 

My plan is for tomorrow to be a much shorter day. It will be good for my body to move and stretch but pushing it too much at the start is not a good idea. 

Kilometers walked: 25.83... though I'm starting to wonder how accurate my darling Fitbit is since that is shy of what the route marks... and I tend to trust the 1000 year old trail more than new technology. 😂 However, it is noteworthy that none of my walking registered today... instead the Fitbit picked up my activity as sport. Intense. 


No comments:

Post a Comment