Sunday, September 17, 2017

Day 13: Grañon - Villafranca Montes de Oca

Today the good vibes at the parroquial albergue in Grañon continued as the hostaleros woke up early making lots of strong coffee and setting up breakfast. I should clarify that a place to stay, dinner, breakfast and all the amazing camaraderie are donation-based. I left my donation, packed my bag, enjoyed some excellent coffee, did a few dishes and said my goodbyes before 7:30. 

I had slept okay, but maybe just not quite enough. Still, the 6 degree Celsius weather and the gorgeous sunrise (again: remember to stop and look behind you) made me feel awake and energized. Can you see the church steeple in the two photos? That's where I slept!

I love how big the sky is and there were many small villages on the way today. Many of these towns exist because of the Camino. And they aren't new, they have served pilgrims since way back...

My mind is a mish-mash of thoughts... plans for after, ideas, reflections, randomness... I don't know how I'll ever capture it all. I guess it's all in there somewhere. I've been dreaming in Spanish and my interior dialogue is even more a squishy mix of Spanglish than normal. Learning another language does fun things to your brain! But, hey, look at the pretty flowers next to the old building! And that blue!

Today I crossed into another part of Spain - Castilla y León. Crazy hair and crazy water tube, but here I am! Camino Style. ;)

Today was also the longest day of walking since the first (obligatory) long one. And here is where I am staying!

Well, kinda... the hotel owner built an albergue in back. Our entrance is here:

I arrived just before the skies opened up to pour rain. Another Camino rainbow appeared after. 

The view is from the albergue kitchen, where I heated up a microwave meal of pisto (vegetables in tomato sauce) for dinner, which I ate outside with a few other snacks, other pilgrims' company and a pregnant tabby who ate all the tidbits I dropped to her. 

My sleeping bag is cozy and it'll be bed time here soon. Night night!

Kilometers walked: 25.18 (Fitbit), 27.64 (Buen Camino app)... my friend's guidebook says we did 29! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment