Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Day 16: Burgos - Hontanas

The albergue last night had some interesting house rules. It's common that there is a curfew and that doors lock then. However at this one we didn't have control over the hall lights and so an earlier bedtime meant that light still spilled into our room (no doors). All the lights, including the room lights were switched on at 6am, which is a pretty hard wake up call. Soy milk café con leche at the bar across the street and I'm out by 7!

Leaving Burgos was a pretty walk and the misty morning fields added to the magic. 

The Camino soon departed from the city and freeway roads and views. Now I am on the "meseta," a long, mostly flat part, favorite of some and skipped section of others. 

So far, I like it. I read a quote that said the landscape here is in the sky! Yes, it is.

With M, an Italian who lives in England at a rest stop today. 

Sunflower season is ending, but this field still has some life. Mom, I always think of you when I see these. ❤️

Today was my biggest day yet. On any Camino. I feel tired and my ankles were ready to stop when I got to the albergue, but I did 30k! I was so happy to see the town of Hontanas. 

At the time of writing I'm sitting outside of the church at a cafe, with two Germans. I'll have the community dinner at my albergue soon and then it's bedtime! 

Photo above: Inside the Hotanas church. 

The Camino doesn't leave a lot of free time, but I am reading an amazing book: You are not your pain by Vidyamala Birch and Danny Penman. I highly recommend it if you are dealing with any kind of chronic physical or emotional pain (including stress!).

Kilometers walked: 26.6 (Fitbit), 31.37 (Buen Camino app), 30.5 (Leslie Gilmour guidebook). I think the Fitbit took a siesta and forgot to count some today!

No comments:

Post a Comment