Monday, September 4, 2017

Day 1: Madrid - St. Jean Pied de Port

Today marked an early start, especially by Spain standards, with a 5:30 am alarm. I got up, got ready and was out the door by 6. It was a day of travel on foot, by train, by plane and by car! And everything went smoothly! 
Soy milk café con leche, gluten free vegan bocadillo that I made the night before and a few other travel essentials. ;)

The French Basque Country is gorgeous and I had plenty of time to wander around town, check out the Monday market and get my pilgrim passport. St. Jean has a great energy to it and there is a buzz of nervous excitement as pilgrims prepare to embark on the Camino. I've already met new friends from Ireland, Poland, New Zealand, Australia, England and the USA. 

Registering at the pilgrim office.
Picture above: 

Registering at the pilgrim office. The pilgrim passport cost €2 and is your "proof" as you move along the Camino. It also ends up being one of your best souvenirs. 



This photo shows the view from my accommodation, Gite Makila. 



I lit a candle inside the church today. 


I bought some snacks for tomorrow, anti-bedbug spray and walking poles. I wanted to try the poles this time - the downhill hurts my knees sometimes. 


The sun sets late; it's 8:30 pm as I finish this post and though the sun has slipped behind the Pyrenees (where I will follow, tomorrow!), it is still light out and the most pleasant temperature. 



Kilometers walked: 12.26 (not a Camino day, but not bad for just roaming around town).

No comments:

Post a Comment