Sunday, September 17, 2017

Day 14: Villafranca Montes de Oca - Cardeñuela Riopico

The albergue room was busy, in the night and early morning. I woke up just after 6 and stayed in bed stretching before rolling out at 6:30. I left the dorms at 7 and was surprised by a night dark sky filled with stars. Other early pilgrims stopped and marveled too. A group of us congregated around the cafe door below. It was not much higher than freezing, but with 12 k before the next village, coffee was not optional. The café opened on Spanish time... so a little after 7. ;)

An ascent up, along with the double espresso, helped me wake up and I witnessed another spectacular sunrise. The photos really don't do it justice, but I have to try. 

It was a beautiful walk and I chatted literature for a bit with a guy from Sevilla and said good morning to some of the now familiar faces that seem to be on about the same stages as me. 

We passed through pine trees and it reminded me a little of Flagstaff, Arizona. There was a funky rest stop about halfway, with painted wood and stones. 

Two rest stops and some kilometers later I arrived at San Juan. It was warming to sit in the sun in the plaza and let my fingers thaw... I didn't think I would be this chilly on the Camino in September, but I think gloves are in order. 

Picnic lunch spot:

While I was eating my lunch, I saw a fox scurry by!

I climbed another hill and came into a small town. Dinner is at the albergue tonight. 



I'm looking forward to having a shorter day tomorrow and seeing Burgos!

Kilometers walked: 22.41 (Fitbit), 24.48 (Buen Camino app). 

No comments:

Post a Comment