Monday, October 16, 2017

Day 42: Cee/Corcubión - Finisterre

The morning light shined down on Corcubión and I made my way after fruit and a soy milk coffee. 

And like always, I followed the shells. 

There was some steep uphill to start, but it soon evened out and the Camino passed through small seaside towns. 

I didn’t feel a hurry since there were only 14 k to Finisterre. I had a snack and watched the sea for awhile mid-morning. Once again, it proved amazing to come around a turn and see the sea! And Finisterre!

The way takes you down and the last 3 k are on, or along the beach. Which way did I choose? 

I did bathe my feet in the sea, though tradition would dictate that I go all the way in. Let’s see, there’s still time and the water isn’t as cold as I imagined!
And my end of the world victory shot!

Walking along the water feels like a very appropriate end to my pilgrimage. 

I dropped my backpack at the hotel (!), had a Nepalese veggie curry, wandered the town and queued for my Finisterre Compostela certificate. 

After a long nap it was time to climb the 3 k to the lighthouse for sunset. I ran into C, who I had met back on the Primitivo. 

It was a little cloudy and very windy, but there were plenty of tourists and pilgrims taking in the view at the end of the world. 
With the lighthouse:

And kilometer 0!!!

I did not, nor did I see, any pilgrims burning their clothes. It is tradition to do this as purification and to step forward into a new chapter of your life. There are lots of signs saying don’t start fires. As the daughter and sister of firefighters, this is one rule that seemed sensible to follow. ;) hi, Dad!

Kilometers walked: 21.81 (Fitbit), 14 (Guidebook from the pilgrim office in Santiago), 13,4 (gronze.com). Fitbit is ahead today... remember I did wander around town and do 3k each way to the lighthouse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment