Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 33: Lugo - San Román da Retorta

It was a quiet albergue last night... I think everyone was worn out from the long day to get to Lugo. I didn't hear any early packers or alarms, though I'm sure there were a few. I rolled out of my top bunk about 7 and was enjoying this splendid creation an hour later. Yay for soy milk!

I headed out with 6 of my friends; it took me awhile to feel awake despite the caffeine and it took us awhile to leve the city behind. 

Finding the way out of Lugo:

The landscape is changing. There are less mountains and it is less wild. Today we paralleled the road, or even walked on it, often. There is more farmland. 

Pilgrim path along the road:

But, we go up and down rolly hills in forests still as well. 

And the road sections are pretty easy on the eyes too. 

Today was a shorter day and I was happy to reach "town."

There is a church, cemetery and two albergues here. One of the albergues has a small bar/restaurant. Here's what the municipal albergue looks like. It has just 12 Cbeds and is full tonight. 





I learned how to pan roast the chestnuts that we find on the Camino tonight. They are delicious!

We are at the 80 k (to Santiago) mark. I can't believe it is that close. I can already feel the environment changing. There are new walkers on the path and it feels a bit more party than pilgrimage. Doing 100 k is the minimum required to earn the Compostela certificate and many choose to do the last 100 arriving to Santiago (starting from Lugo on the Primitivo or starting from Sarria on the Francés). 

Tomorrow the French and Primitivo paths join, so there will be a lot more pilgrims. I'll let you know how it all works out. 

Kilometers walked: 19.19 (Fitbit), 19.18 (Buen Camino app). I think this was my lightest day on the Primitivo yet. It felt good to have some extra rest and chill time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment