Sunday, October 8, 2017

Day 34: San Román da Retorte - Melide

The traditionally built stone albergue was comfortable and quiet. I awoke just before my alarm, made a green tea, ate peanuts and rice cakes from C and was out walking with the moon by 8. 

The sun soon made her appearance too. 

I left before my family since it was a long day (and I tend to take more breaks) and so that I could have a little sola time on the Camino (last day of the pure Primitivo experience). I thought a lot about change. The Camino vibe was changing, my daily routine is soon to change... and oh yeah, my post-Camino life. 

I crossed a lot of bridges today. I remembered the Galician folklore (witches can't cross bridges) and considered bridges as linking or transition points. 

(Notice Santiago just after this bridge.)

My family walked ahead and behind me and I like knowing they are there and meeting up at rest stops, but much of the day I was alone with amazing landscapes like these. 



And I saw Camino cows!

I arrived at 4, after 8 hours on the road. The town was quiet - siesta time on a Saturday. I took care of my daily personal errands, visited the supermarket for reinforcements, ran into friends from the Francés and Primitivo and had a great dinner here. 



I'm 51 k from Santiago, two days, or three easy days. I'm still not sure which option I'll take, but I'll get there. The way is the destination. 

Kilometers walked: 27 (Fitbit), 29.85 (Buen Camino app). Friends' guidebooks state 30. I'm calling it that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment