Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Day 37: Santiago!!!

A late night of celebrating and a small, but short sleep in my sweet single room and my internal pilgrim alarm clock kicked in. I was up and out before 8, not because I didn’t want to lounge in bed, but because a few of us had decided the best strategy in dealing with the Compostela line was to arrive early. The office didn’t even open until 8. I got there at 7:51. This is what I saw. 

I joined P (Madrid) and H (Canada) in line and D (Barcelona) was not far behind me. 

So, what is the Compostela? It’s an official certificate stating that you did the Camino and you can also pay a small fee (€3) and they will personalize it, writing your start date, point of departure and kilometers walked. I knew that I had some explaining to do, since I started the Francés and then jumped to the Primitivo, but it hardly seemed complicated or irregular... two hours later when my turn came, the clerks had other ideas. My Camino didn’t fit their idea of what the Camino is and despite my explanation and gentle request to represent what I had actually done, they would not write my France departure point, nor any of the kilometers walked on the French route (around 500) on the certificate. I almost lost it in the office, but I’ve lived in Asia long enough to know that strong emotions get you nowhere in terms of requests. I also had this voice in my head telling me that it was all ridiculous; my reasons for doing the Camino are many and not a single one has anything to do with a piece of paper. My friends hugged me and agreed as we left the office. Emotions are all just below the surface after a month of walking and your arrival to the destination. 

(Above - Santiago in the pilgrim’s office chapel)

We went out for coffee, I said “see you later” and “Buen Camino” to H and P and we parted. I picked up a couple of grocery and toiletry items and returned to my room for a few minutes of rest. 

Then, it was time to head to the cathedral for mass. Santiago is a huge tourist destination and pilgrim’s mass is held twice a day. I scooted into line next to M (South Korea), had my bag checked by security and filed in. There were no seats left and pilgrims stood at the back and sides and sat on the floor. I squeezed in next to a stone column and realized I was right next to R and R (Málaga)... it’s funny how the Camino keeps delivering you to certain people. :)

The big event of the Santiago mass is the botafumeiro, a huge metal ball filled with incense that is swung to purify the pilgrims and cover up their smell. It’s quite the task as it’s heavy (62 kg empty and about 40 kg of incense is added)  and all the incense required is expensive. 

I took a few videos, but this one is better:

We also waited in line to hug the Santiago statue. 

And visit his tomb. 

Lunch and more time with friends was next. I had texted with K to surprise D and E (they didn’t know she was back in Santiago after visiting the coast).

I opted for coffee instead of a siesta so that I could shop, wander and hang out with D since he was returning the next day. 

I then met Ch in the plaza and exchanged a few quick stories. 

About this time I was feeling physically and emotionally spent... I made the call to stay one more night and day in Santiago and postpone my epilogue walk to the coast (More soon! You didn’t think I was done walking, did you?!?).

Another brief rest in the room and I met friends for drinks, tapas, dinners and goodbyes. More on Santiago and the next Camino tomorrow. :)

Do you want to see what a pilgrim arrival to Santiago looks like? You can! Check out the webcam at the link below. The “Praza de Obradoiro” is the arrival point in front of the cathedral. 


Kilometers walked: I don’t know! :D I wouldn’t call it a rest day, but I didn’t walk on a path and I left my Fitbit in the pension! 

No comments:

Post a Comment