Friday, October 13, 2017

Day 39: Santiago - Negreira

Today was a welcome return to walking. Although I didn’t sleep great, I was up at 7:15 and out before 8. The cool morning air felt nice and I decided to postpone coffee. I almost went down the wrong street (trying to follow a pen line drawn on a map), but a friendly stranger interrupted me and pointed me in the correct direction. This is what the early morning street looked like. 

After that is was easy! There were lots of markers. Familiar faces and some new signs too. 



I used my phone light a little and followed the way. Today is a holiday in Spain and the towns I passed had nothing open. Finally, there was a coffee shop that just about every pilgrim stopped into. They even offered a new credencial for the Finisterre/Muxia walk, good thing as my other one only had 3 spaces left. 

E also stopped for second breakfast and we walked together, doing some uphill for awhile, but breaking to take in the scenery too. Here’s going into Ponte Maceira:

The famous bridge the town is named for. 









We arrived to Negreira and heard from another pilgrim that the Municipal Albergue was full so we are staying in a private tonight. The town is very quiet. The Camino guide says that Hemingway mentioned this town in For Whom The Bells Toll, but I haven’t seen any signs of him here!

There is a good Santiago statue! I like the shoe addition. :)

After a little rest time and laundry I had a wander in town. Dinner at the albergue’s restaurant was the option and it’s bedtime now; tomorrow is going to be a longer day kilometers-wise. Buenas noches to an absolutely lovely day back on the Camino. 

Kilometers walked: 21.58 (Fitbit), 21 (Guidebook from the pilgrim office in Santiago), 20.6 (gronze.com). It was a nice, easy transition day back into walking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment