Thursday, October 19, 2017

Post-Camino Culture Shock

Just a few observations...

1. Riding on a bus! Whoa! So fast! I got back to Santiago in less than two hours... it took me four days to walk to the coast!

The day I walked into Muxia. 

2. Arrows! It takes a long time to re-adjust to seeing arrows in the same way after spying them and following them for 6 weeks. I followed the arrows out of the bus station, and they did, in fact, point to the exit, but it was a wholly automatic reaction. 

It worked again when I was trying to find the post office today. Some readers should check their mail! ;)

3. Clothes! I haven’t thought a lot about what I put on this last month and a half, except for what is dry, clean and warm/cool. Technically, I had a choice everyday of a blue or turquoise top. Everyone in the cities looks so clean and stylish. The shops are overwhelming. Still, I took a little time to buy a new top; I wanted to wear something absolutely clean to travel back to Madrid. I also feel a kindred sense of belonging with the past pilgrims who burned everything and started fresh. (Hiking/athletic clothes are expensive so here’s hoping that some of what I have works for future hikes/pilgrimages.)

Here I am on top of the cathedral in the spot that really signified the end of the pilgrimage - where the pilgrims burned their clothes. 

4. Time. Although I woke up way early (even for a pilgrim), I felt time in a different way today. I lingered over my almond milk café con leche once I got to Santiago since it was raining and I took time to visit the pilgrims museum this morning (I highly recommend it.) and I went back to the cathedral and looked around without the crowds. It was really nice just to wander. 

One last look at Santiago. 


One of the first Camino guidebooks. 


Then and now pilgrim garb.


Art made from pilgrims’ walking sticks. 

I also did the Cathedral Roof tour and I also recommend it! It was so cool to hear the history and see views of the city. You get to go up where most people don’t go, inside the church and right on top of the roof!

View from above. 


Look at me, ma!


The rain stopped just in time for our tour. 

5. Albergues. Albergues are great when we are all more or less on the same routine. I’m at a nice one on the city center today, but it’s so loud... you can tell the Camino is over and that everyone has their own schedule. I definitely recommend staying in the albergues if you do the Camino, but after I’d suggest switching to a pension or hotel. 

I’m in the Primitivo room. :)

Kilometers walked: 13.91 (Fitbit). You know you wanted to know! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment