Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A Different Kind of Vacation: The Camino de Santiago

Uh-oh! This post is a day late! I have had it just about ready for a few days, but I guess I got distracted reading articles relating to the US elections... Anyway, we aren't going to unpack that here - this post shows and tells you a little more about the Camino and why I decided to take it on.

I first learned about the Camino de Santiago as a 20-year-old undergrad in Spanish class. I had just returned from a study abroad in Granada and I was obsessed with all things Spain. One of my professors showed us photos of her trip and as I watched the beautiful nature shots and fun times with friends go by, I thought, “I want to do that.”

The Camino de Santiago (or The Way of Saint James) dates back hundreds of years as a religious pilgrimage. There are many different paths that arrive in Santiago, but the main route is the Camino Francés. Religion continues to be present along the Way, but people now walk with other motives also. 
A tiny chapel outside of Astorga.
I opted to make my Camino goal come true in the summer of 2016. I had put it off for years for many reasons, but lack of time, as it takes five to six weeks to do the entire trek, was my main excuse. I finally decided that doing part of the Camino was better than not experiencing it at all. 
Moonset just before sunrise, a little past Rabanal el Camino.
I was also looking for a different kind of summer vacation – lounging poolside quickly loses its sparkle and I liked the idea of being active. I love living in Myanmar and Yangon is a dynamic city, but it lacks green spaces and access to nature. It felt right to get out and just walk. The time to think about life and reflect on my goals that walking all day, every day, opens up was attractive as well. Being able to use Spanish and enjoy the cuisine along the way were, of course, big pluses. 
A dusty part of the Camino on a hot day.
Pilgrims make their way through one of the many small towns.

Approaching Molinaseca. 
Due to its well-trodden history, the Camino is an ideal trek for those who do not have a lot of backpacking experience. Yes, you do need to bring all that you need for your journey on your back, but there are opportunities to supplement your supplies or replace items along the route. Many towns exist because of the Camino and small pensions, convenience stores and cafes cater to pilgrims. Though most walkers complete about 20-25 kilometers a day, I met many people who hiked more or less. 
My 15 Euro splurge on a private room in Molinaseca.
My top bunk in a hostel room for four in Cacabelos.




















In the end, I trekked 367 kilometers, about half of the Camino. If you ask me about my dream vacation, I have a lot of ideas! But, walking the entire Camino de Santiago would definitely be one of my answers. 
Me and my best friend Raquel, aka my backpack, on the Camino (somewhere between Pamplona and Navarrete).

No comments:

Post a Comment