Thursday, July 31, 2014

My First Full Day in Yangon

It felt great to wake up in my own place. I got up early and worked on a few more settling in chores and then headed across the street to school. The director told us more about the school, gave some reminders about living in Yangon and then we took a tour. 

The new high school principal is also gluten free and he brought me a box of muesli that he likes and you can get here. So far, (knock on wood!) I haven't had any issues with my dietary challenges. 

My classroom is room 101, near the faculty lounge. I have my very own classroom, which is new to me (at Eastside Prep we shared spaces and most teachers moved between several classrooms). I'll teach all my classes there and use it as my office during my prep periods. 
There is no furniture yet, but here I am in my classroom!
The main school building has 9 floors so there are some great views of the surrounding areas. 
Looking back at the teacher apartments. Mine is the building in the middle. 
Neighborhood around school.
You can tell by the sky that it's monsoon season!
The school's pool. 
The afternoon and evening were both full of excursions out and about in Yangon! Lunch was at Alamanda, which is also a fancy hotel that you might like to stay at when you visit if you want a step up from my guest room.
Teachers at lunch
I had the fish cooked in banana leaves and veggies.
Next we stopped at Market Place, a grocery store that has some international options as well as household items. I bought fruit, veggies, a little plant and some things to help me settle in.
Rows of rice at Market Place.
I bought a Dragonfruit - isn't it beautiful?
We had a little time to bring our shopping spree items back and then it was out to dinner at Monsoon. This restaurant has a HUGE menu with sections, each representing the cuisine of a different country in Asia. I had some coconut mushroom soup from Thailand, pumpkin leaf greens from Myanmar and I tried some of the classic fermented green tea leaf salad (Lahpet) from here too. Learn more about this dish here.

After dinner, some of us opted to check out a few of the nightlife spots, 50th and The Lab...there is a lot to explore!

Things are getting busy with prep for the start of school (one week!), but I'll update you again soon. :)
License Plate



No comments:

Post a Comment