Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Landing in Yangon

Yesterday it was finally time to make the trek from Bangkok to Yangon! Exactly six months ago I accepted this new job and my life has been building to this moment in big and small ways ever since.

We flew Thai Air, which is a very nice airline! Make a note if you are planning to visit.
First view of Myanmar
Window seat was definitely the way to go!
The international airport is just one year old; it's small but nice and it didn't take long to collect bags, go through customs and make it to the other side! It felt like Christmas to be reunited with my two checked suitcases again; I always worry about luggage getting lost and having this happen on a move (when I am stocked with all my favorite products!) would be unfortunate. The school director and high school principal were waiting to greet us.
Yes, I'm here!
I pulled 50,000 kyat from an ATM at the airport. The largest bill here is a 10,000 kyat note. Can you guess how much that is? (Answer below.)
A sampling of the bills. 
Soon white school buses arrived and we were whisked off to our new homes. Teacher apartments are located across the street from the school. I can see the campus (and pool!) from my living room window.

My apartment is simply decorated and spacious. It feels huge after my 500 square feet in Seattle! There is a master bedroom, one bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, open living/dining area, small balcony and two guest bedrooms - come visit!
AC and TV were on when I got here. They also put out roses and some basic food items in the kitchen.
My kitchen is purple! Rice cooker included. 
Master bedroom, that's me!
We had some time to settle in, then we met at one of our host teacher's apartments. It feels great to finally be getting my things out of my suitcases. It was a long and busy day so I went to bed early (but not before Skyping with Mom and Dad; aren't I a good daughter?).

Well, that about sums up my first few hours in Myanmar! Stay tuned for more...


What I'm listening to: alt-j - An Awesome Wave, Conor Oberst - Upside Down Mountain

What I'm reading: Still working through A Tale for the Time Being, but I also have lots of new reading material!
Our host teachers gave us a map, tourist guide and binder full of information.
Answer: Thanks for reading this far... the answer to the above question is $10. The approximate exchange rate is 1,000 kyat to $1. When I pulled out about $50 the ATM gave me a total of 42 notes: forty 1,000 kyat notes and two 5,000 kyat notes. It's pretty wild. I guess here I'll be a millionaire. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment