Sunday, March 6, 2016

Trekking to Kyaiktiyo!

My loyal readers will remember my trip to Golden Rock, aka Kyaiktiyo, in November 2014 (for a refresher, check out the post here).

As I am now well into my second year in Myanmar, I definitely miss nature and being able to get outside and hike. So, when I saw that a three day weekend was approaching, I asked my friend HPA for recommendations to get my outside fix. She suggested Golden Rock and the idea of a road trip to the base and a hike to the top took form. The rock, by the way, is said to be floating on the edge of the mountain due to one of Buddha's hairs underneath it.

Sunglasses, seatbelts, let's go!
We left Saturday morning and it took us about six hours to get to the town at the base of Golden Rock (yes, we stopped for snacks and lunch). We filled the car with girl talk and good tunes as we made our way out of Yangon, through small towns, twisting and turning until we reached Kinpun.
The Road.
We arrived late afternoon, checked into the adorable Golden Sunrise Hotel (the same place I stayed before) and wandered into town. The town was buzzing with activity and we made our way to the main street, admiring locally made snacks, sandals and souvenirs. We both bought Kyaiktiyo t-shirts and I tried on a lot of locally-made sandals, but none of the Asian sizes were big enough to fit my US size 8 feet.
Kinpun at dusk
I discovered a new vegan gluten free food that I love, ka dett. This snack is made from a finely shredded tree root, which is then fried with chilis or garlic. There are many stalls with mounds of ka dett, which you can buy for less than fifty cents per package. It tastes a little like a potato chip and it's crispy with a chewier texture.
Ka dett - my new favorite snack!
After our walk, we returned to the hotel, relaxing in the room and later sharing vegetables, fish and rice at the hotel restaurant for dinner. Although we giggled and talked like young girls at a slumber party, we knew well enough to tuck ourselves into our twin beds and turn off the lights early enough to get a solid 8 hours of sleep before our trekking adventure. I think we both felt excited, but nervous, about our upcoming uphill climb. 
Our hike begins!
On Sunday, we woke up around 7, got dressed, packed and enjoyed a breakfast with fresh coffee at the hotel before stepping out onto the road at 8:11 to begin our hike. We smiled and chatted as we followed the street to town and then pushed past where we had shopped the evening before to step onto the dirt path that slowly rose way up the mountain. 
The steps were the most challenging physical aspect of the hike for me. 
We passed many small shops, traditional homes, children playing, stray dogs and we crossed paths with hikers descending, who must have started the climb down shortly after sunrise.
We are headed the right way!
Downward dog
On the trail
I was wearing my new hiking boots and backpack that R helped me pick out in Bangkok. They both worked great! Backpack felt like it floated above my shoulders and I didn't get any blisters. You may notice my skirt... I've preferred hiking in a skirt since I have been hiking, which in my family means since I have been walking (my dad and some family photos can vouch for this - pink frills on top of Angel's Landing in Zion).
The path varied between cement steps, stones and dirt.
We slowly twisted higher and higher. The way up was gradual enough most of the time. There were shady spots to rest and enjoy a cool drink and it felt amazing to be outside of the city breathing fresh mountain air.
Shops are common
In some ways this trek is an easy one - it's a well-trodden route and there are many shops along the way, so it's easy to buy snacks, water tissues and even hot food. We tried deep fried gourd battered in lentil flour at one rest break. 
Up I go...
The views keep getting better.
We took our time, resting frequently, eating snacks and drinking water. My favorite part of the hike was the ridge, offering stunning panoramic views. After climbing upwards all morning, it was nice to be on a flat-ish trail for awhile.

I <3 Myanmar
Selfie from the ridge, getting tired, but still happy!
The last part of the hike was the most grueling, the sun was at its hottest, our bodies were growing tired and the trail worked its way to a steep incline. But, we never got cranky and we both agreed that the challenge was more in the mind, than the body. We just had to keep going!

Rest stop!
And then... we pushed up one more hill and looked to the left and we had arrived!!! We walked past the trucks that bring most people up and made our way in.

I had to stop at the office and pay the foreigner's fee, but we used the opportunity to get a victory photo.
We officially made it!
Next stop was a restaurant for a late lunch of vegetarian fried rice, lephet thoke (Burmese tea leaf salad) and tea. From there, we wandered around, taking in the whole scene (and taking lots of photos - let me know if you want to see more the next time I visit you or you visit me). As women, we are not allowed out onto the platform to touch, or add additional gold leaf, to the rock.
Sitting at the top
In front of the monastery
Good hiking partners below the rock!
And one more.
As the sun dropped lower in the sky we knew it was time to head back down. This time, we would be riding, though! We piled into a truck, squeezing next to other visitors (mostly locals, though you do see foreign visitors as well), happy to sit for this leg of the journey.


Transport to and from the top
Here's a little video to give you an idea of what the ride is like. Don't worry, Mom!


Sunset views on the way down. 
After descending, we did the short walk back to our hotel. My shower felt amazing and we did a little bit of gentle yoga before tucking into another great dinner at the Golden Sunrise and then stretching out into our beds. 

The next day was mostly our trip back to Yangon, but I can't wait for our next road trip and trek, HPA!!!

So, what are we listening to on our road trip? From my iPhone:
  • CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye
  • Bomba estéreo - Amanecer
  • Purity Ring - Another Eternity
  • and a mix of pop, rock and electronic from HPA's library. 

2 comments:

  1. Another great post, Cascade!! Love the pics and the stories. You ladies rocked it!! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post, Cascade!! Love the pics and the stories. You ladies rocked it!! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete